What size is a 42 inch TV ? 42 TV Dimensions in cm & inches
This post was last updated on March 4th, 2023 at 07:31 am
One of the smaller sizes in popular TVs is a 42-in TV. When buying a 42-inch TV, consider the room size, the viewing distance, and the 42″ Tv dimensions. When a manufacturer describes a TV as 42 inches, they refer to the diagonal measurement of the screen’s size with an aspect ratio of 16:9.
The diagonal measurement of the screen is 42 inches. This length is 106.7 centimeters when expressed in centimeters. The screen measures 37 inches or 93.0 cm in width and 21 inches or 52.3 cm in height if the aspect ratio is 16: 9.
A 42-inch TV is a very versatile TV-screen size used in kitchens, bedrooms or smaller rooms. An average 42″ TV screen is 37″ wide, 21″ high and 2″ thick.TV-spec guide
The measurements for a 42-inch TV with a 16: 9 aspect ratio are displayed in the image below.
Why is it important to know the dimensions of a 42″ TV?
If you overlook the screen’s dimensions, you can find yourself with a TV that doesn’t fit in the space you have set aside. In numerous circumstances, it may also be too big or little for your room. Knowing how big a 42-inch could be, it may be important to evaluate several TV models.
This dimension is a pretty common TV screen size, so we explain how much height, width, and depth the TV has. Based on our overall Tv-Screen sizes page we got many questions like “what size is a 42 inch TV?”. So we dug some deeper into the most popular smaller TV sizes like the 42-inch
Jump immediately to the Frequently asked questions section of this page
Table of content
- Quick Summary about the size of a 42-Inch TV-screen
- 42-inch TV size chart
- 42″ TV vs Other TV screen sizes
- How to set up a 42″ TV in a living room
- FAQ about 42 inch TVs
What Size is a 42 inch TV Quick read
- Many 42-inch TVs come in different dimensions. Check the specs of the brand of the model you want to buy
- A 42″ TV average dimension in inches is 48 inches wide, 27 inches tall, and 2 inches thick.
- A 42″ TV average dimension in centimeters is 122 cm wide, 69 cm tall and 6 cm high
- The area required on your wall for the 42-inch television is 1293-inch2 or 8.400 cm² or 0.84m²
- Typically a 42-inch TV weighs between 25 pounds – 11 kgs and 50 pounds or 23 kg, depending on the brand and price level of the screen.
- The viewing distance to a 42-Inch TV must be at least 9.4 feet or 2.9 meters. A minimum room size must be 12 by 12 feet.
Size Chart of 42″ TV Screen Dimensions
Many Big screen TVs are either wall-mounted or placed on a tv stand. If using a tv stand, you will also need to consider its size. The 3 dimensions you need to know when measuring tv size: The width, height, and depth or thickness.
How to measure TV dimensions?
Use a tape ruler to take dimensions. A tip is to cut the dimensions out of cardboard to simulate the impact of a 42-inch TV.
- TV width: is measured from side to side.
- TV height: is measured from top to bottom
- TV depth: is the thickness of the tv from front to back.
- Diagonal: The distance of the upper right corner to the lower left corner of the TV
42 Inch Tv comparison Chart vs Other Sizes
A complete Screen Dimensions comparison table from 32″ up to 85″ TV screens, by width, Height and area. (in inches and centimeters) Below are the dimensions of the 42 inch tv, specified in inches, cm and mm.
Related: TV Screen Size Chart, What size is a 75 inch TV? Dimensions in cm, inches & room size, What size is a 55 inch TV? Dimensions in cm, inches & room size
Viewing Distance size chart for a 42 inch TV
The Ideal viewing distance of a 42″ TV depends on your room, the viewing angle, and the number of people you’re with. For a 42″ inch TV you should maintain a viewing distance of about 3.6 to 5.4 feet.
|TV Screen Size||Viewing Distance for 4K|
|40″||3.3 – 5 feet|
|42″||3.6 – 5.4 feet|
|50″||4.2 – 6.3 feet|
|55″||4.6 – 6.9 feet|
|60″||5 – 7.5 feet|
|65″||5.4 – 8.1 feet|
|70″||5.8 – 8.75 feet|
|75″||6.3 – 9.4 feet|
|80″||6.7 – 10 feet|
|85″||7.1 – 10.6 feet|
A 42-inch size TV dimensions and spec review (video)
Related: TV Screen Size Chart
FAQ the size of a 42″ TV
How big of a room do you need for a 42 inch TV?
The distance you sit from your tv determines the minimum room size for a 42-inch TV. You should plan to sit about 7 feet (or 2.13 meters) away from a 4K tv of this size. Your room size must be suitable for tv of this size. A room of 10 by 10 feet is the bare minimum for a 42-inch TV
Your distance will influence the perceived picture quality. Consider a larger television if you have a spacious room and want to sit farther away than is suggested.
How heavy is a 42 inch TV?
A 42-inch TV weighs between 25 and 50 pounds with its stand, but it differs depending on the type or brand. A TV of this size is not too heavy to mount on a wall, however, the wall that you are planning on mounting your TV on, may not be strong enough to hold it.
How much bigger is 42-inch vs 60-inch TV?
The difference between a 42-inch 16×9 display vs a 60-inch 16×9 display is as follows: A 42″ TV screen measures 48 inches in width and 36.77 inches in height and covers an area of 1292 inches². A 50″ TV is 52.3 inches wide, 29.42 inches high, and covers an area of 1.538 inches².
|Stats||42 inch TV 16×9||60 inch TV 16×9|
|Width||47.94 inches||52.29 inches|
|Height||26.96 inches||29.42 inches|
|Area||1292.58 inches²||1538.28 inches²|
|As a 4:3 Display||44.94 inches||49.03 inches|
|As a 16:9 Display||55.00 inches||60.00 inches|
|As a 2.35:1 Display||52.10 inches||56.83 inches|
How much bigger is a 42″ vs 55″ TV?
The difference between a 75-inch 16×9 display vs a 55-inch 16×9 display is as follows: A 75″ TV is 65.37 inches wide, 36.77 inches high, and covers an area of 2.400 inches². A 55″ TV screen measures 48 inches in width and 36.77 inches in height and covers an area of 1292 inches².
|Stats||42 inch 16×9||55 inch 16×9|
|Width||47.94 inches||65.37 inches|
|Height||26.96 inches||36.77 inches|
|Area||1292.58 inches²||2403.56 inches²|
|As a 4:3 Display||44.94 inches||61.28 inches|
|As a 16:9 Display||55.00 inches||75.00 inches|
|As a 2.35:1 Display||52.10 inches||71.04 inches|
Is a 42″ TV good for a living room?
Generally, a size 42″ TV screen is a good size for a normal living room. You can consider to go up for a 60″ or 65″ TV Screen. Don’t go to 75″ TVs as these are only good for a big living room. A 42-inch TV works fine with the right resolution, the viewing distance and the number of people you have watching the television.
How far should You sit from a 42-inch tv?
For a 42-inch tv with a height of 38.5 inches, you should sit 115.5 inches or 9.6 feet away from the tv.
The advised minimum viewing distance for a high-definition 42″ TV should be 3 times the height.
Can I use a 42-inch TV as a monitor?
Yes, with a minimum viewing distance of bout 3.5 feet, a 42″ TV screen can work as monitor for your PC. All is explained in this video
A 42-inch TV is one of the most popular TV models because of it versatile dimensions. Many people like the screen’s size and quality but forget the TV’s dimensions. When you mount or install a 42-Inch TV screen that is 48 inches wide, 29 inches tall, and 2 inches thick, it’s not necessary to check the size of the room, but check the viewing distance. You should consider sizing your television if your viewing distance exceeds 7 feet. Check the TV dimensions by brand, as they can vary by model.
Any Questions about 42-inch TVs you can leave in the comments box
Picture in this post by John Tuesday on Unsplash
Related Screen size Charts
- Samsung Galaxy Size Chart : Samsung phone dimensions
- What size is a 42 inch TV ? 42 TV Dimensions in cm & inches
- Amazon Kindle Size by model : What size are kindles?
- What size is a 55 inch TV? Dimensions in cm, inches & room size
- What size is a 75 inch TV? Dimensions in cm, inches & room size
- Computer Monitor Size Chart: Which Size is the Best?
- Apple Watch 8 Size Guide vs Other Apple Watch series
- iPhone 13 Pro Max Screen Size Chart vs other iPhone dimensions
- iPhone 13 Screen Size Chart: Dimensions vs other iphone models
- iPhone XR Size Screen Size Chart: dimensions vs other iphones
- iPhone 13 Pro Screen Size Chart explained vs other iPhones
- Resolution Size Chart And Difference From Screen Size
- iPhone 14 size chart, screen dimensions and size comparison
- iPhone 12 screen size chart with dimensions and size comparison
- iPhone 12 mini size chart with screen dimensions and comparison
- iPhone 12 Pro size and screen dimensions compared with other iPhones
- Google Pixel 6A size and dimensions guide
- Apple View VR Size and dimensions of Apple’s first VR Headset
- iMac 24 size, weight and box dimensions
- Snapchat Ads Size – scale your business with the right-sized ads
- Screen Protector for iPhone Size, with tips and easy to use size-charts
- Tiktok size for videos, ratios and formats to get the best results
- YouTube banner size – images, file and all relevant sizes explained
- Etsy Banner Size – all sizes for cover, profile, icon images
- Discord Size for emoji’s – avatars – banners
- Twitch banner size – all sizes you need for profile, video, badge sizes
- Facebook image size – Easy to use size-chart for images, videos and more
- Twitter banner size: a full guide of all Twitter image sizes