Barbecue Size and Dimensions
This post was last updated on September 5th, 2023 at 07:36 am
In this guide, we shall discuss the barbecue size and dimensions to help you prepare the best barbecue by yourself (DIY).
Table of Content of Barbecue Size and Dimensions
- What is a barbecue, and what are the main components that determine the size?
- Why is a good barbecue size important?
- Barbecue Size Charts
- Barbecue size for large groups
- Barbecue size for gas barbecues
- Barbecue grill size by brand
- How to choose the right barbecue size?
- How big is a standard BBQ?
- How do you measure the size of a BBQ?
- How much room do you need for a BBQ?
What is a barbecue, and what are the main components that determine the size?
A barbecue entails cooking techniques that use smoke and fire to prepare and cook food. It varies in various regions because of the style of cooking, people and meals to be served and the methods used to prepare the foods.
The most common barbecue method is grilling, since it’s mostly an outdoor activity there are several components that will determine the perfect size to have a great barbecuing experience.
Outdoor grills are portable grills, mobile grills, or built-in grills. The types of grills, grill surface, grill grates, number of burners, elements of heat, and cooking power. Depending on the number of guests the components listed will help one to the size of barbecue they want.
One of the most popular brands is Blackstone, check out the dedicated blackstone griddle size charts here
Why is a good barbecue size important?
Picking the right grill size is imperative, and it depends on several points that are;
- The cooking surface which includes the cooktop areas and the warming rack has the measurements in square inches of cooking area, and the minimum size is 450 square inches.
- Avoid crowding the grill and with a wide range of BBQ grills, one can either choose a small or a large grill depending on the variety of foods they are preparing and the style of cooking used. Moreover, grill masters prefer a larger grill to have enough grilling space for comfortability and flexibility.
Barbecue Size Charts
The table below shows the number of people and the square inches and centimeters of the cooking area a grill occupies.
|Number of people||Cooking area size in inches²||Cooking area size in centimeters²|
|1||72 inches²||464.5 centimeters²|
|2||144 inches²||929 centimeters²|
|3||216 inches²||1393.5 centimeters²|
|4||288 inches²||1858 centimeters²|
|5||360 inches²||2322.5 centimeters²|
|6||432 inches²||2787 centimeters²|
|7||504 inches²||3251.5 centimeters²|
|8||576 inches²||3716 centimeters²|
|9||648 inches²||4180 centimeters²|
|10||720 inches²||4645 centimeters²|
|11||792 inches²||5109.5 centimeters²|
|12||864 inches²||5574 centimeters²|
|13||936 inches²||6038.5 centimeters²|
|14||1008 inches²||6503 centimeters²|
|15||1080 inches²||6967.5 centimeters²|
|16||1152 inches²||7432 centimeters²|
|17||1224 inches²||7896.5 centimeters²|
|18||1296 inches²||8361 centimeters²|
|19||1368 inches²||8825.5 centimeters²|
|20||1440 inches²||9290 centimeters²|
|21||1512 inches²||9754.5 centimeters²|
|22||1584 inches²||10219 centimeters²|
|23||1656 inches²||10683.5 centimeters²|
|24||1728 inches²||11148 centimeters²|
|25||1800 inches²||11612.5 centimeters²|
|26||1872 inches²||12077 centimeters²|
|27||1944 inches²||12541.5 centimeters²|
|28||2016 inches²||13006 centimeters²|
|29||2088 inches²||13470.5 centimeters²|
|30||2160 inches²||13935 centimeters²|
Barbecue size for large groups
We consider a large group of 10 people and more. Choosing a larger barbecue size with a grill up to at least 600 square inches is a minimum to start from. This grill size will allow you to easily cook Cheeseburger Kebabs, Baked BBQ Chicken, Honey Glazed Chicken Wings, Grilled Shrimp Skewers for your guests.
Aside from the right size barbecue grill, you also need a good timing to serve perfect grilled food to your gathering
Barbecue size for gas barbecues
The table below shows the propane size tank dimensions. All about the correct zie of Propane gas tanks you can read here
|Water capacity in gallons and liters||Leg spacing in inches and centimeters||Diameter in inches and centimeters||Length in the foot to inches and centimeters||Height in the foot to inches and centimeters||Weight in pounds and kilograms|
|V-120 gallons 454.2 liters||–||30 inches 76.2 centimeters||–||4’ 6 inches 137.1 centimeters||260 pounds 117.9 kilograms|
|120 gallons 454.2 liters||45 ¼ inches 114.9 centimeters||24 inches 60.9 centimeters||5’8 inches 172.7 centimeters||2’9 inches 83.8 centimeters||257 pounds 116.5 kilograms|
|150 gallons 567.8 liters||60 inches 152.4 centimeters||24 inches 60.9 centimeters||7’0 inches 213.3 centimeters||2’9 inches 83.8 centimeters||314 pounds 142.4 kilograms|
|250 gallons 1059.9 liters||60 inches 152.4 centimeters||30 inches 76.2 centimeters||7’10 inches 238.7 centimeters||3’3 inches 99.0 centimeters||483 pounds 219.1 kilograms|
|325 gallons 1230.2 liters||60 inches 152.4 centimeters||30 inches 76.2 centimeters||9’11 inches 302.2 centimeters||3’3 inches 99.0 centimeters||597 pounds 270.7 kilograms|
|500 gallons 1892.7 liters||60 inches 152.4 centimeters||37 inches 93.9 centimeters||9’11 inches 302.2 centimeters||3’10 inches 116.8 centimeters||949 pounds 430.4 kilograms|
|850 gallons 3217.6 liters||86 inches 218.4 centimeters||41 inches 104.1 centimeters||13’9 inches 419.1 centimeters||4’2 inches 127 centimeters||1440 pounds 653.1 kilograms|
|1000 gallons 3785.4 liters||121 inches 307.3 centimeters||41 inches 104.1 centimeters||16’0 inches 487.6 centimeters||4’2 inches 127 centimeters||1760 pounds 798.3 kilograms|
|1450 gallons 5488.8 liters||139.5 inches 354.3 centimeters||46 inches 116.8 centimeters||17’4 inches 528.3 centimeters||4’7 inches 139.7 centimeters||2658 pounds 1205.6 kilograms|
|1990 gallons 7532.9 liters||192 inches 487.6 centimeters||46 inches 116.8 centimeters||23’11 inches 728.9 centimeters||4’7 inches 139.7 centimeters||3400 pounds 1542.2 kilograms|
Barbecue grill size by brand
The table below represents the different types of grills with brands and their sizes.
|Type of grill||Height in inches and centimeters||Width in inches and centimeters||Depth in inches and centimeters|
|Napoleon prestige pro 500||50.25 inches 127 centimeters||64.25 inches 168 centimeters||26 inches 55 centimeters|
|dyna-glo-X-large heavy-duty charcoal grill||50.5 inches 128 centimeters||60.25 inches 153 centimeters||28 inches 71 centimeters|
|Napoleon rogue 365||48 inches 122 centimeters||48 inches 122 centimeters||25 inches 64 centimeters|
|Napoleon travelQ 285X||38.75 inches 98 centimeters||44.25 inches 112 centimeters||20.25 inches 51 centimeters|
|Weber original kettle charcoal grill||39.5 inches 100 centimeters||25 inches 63.5 centimeters||22.5 inches 57 centimeters|
|Napoleon prestige pro 825||51 inches 130 centimeters||94.25 inches 239 centimeters||25.25 inches 64 centimeters|
|Charcoal grill barbeque portable||8.8 inches 22.5 centimeters||16 inches 40.5 centimeters||11 inches 28 centimeters|
|Stainless steel body portable BBQ||27.5 inches 70 centimeters||43.3 inches 110 centimeters||13.1 inches 33.5 centimeters|
|Outdoor middle size stainless steel foldable BBQ||22.4 inches 57 centimeters||25.5 inches 65 centimeters||13.7 inches 35 centimeters|
|Charcoal barbecue grill camping||18.1 inches 46 centimeters||24.4 inches 62 centimeters||9.1 inches 23 centimeters|
How to choose the right barbecue size?
The type of grill one purchases does not only depend on the size and number of guests but also your expertise in barbecuing, presenting authentic flavors, space for the grill, and time expenditure on cooking. Each grill has its specificity for the delivery of food, the grills are;
- Charcoal grill – also known as kettle grills has both direct and indirect grilling with temperatures of up to 700 degrees Fahrenheit delivering a charred flavor to meaty dishes. No precision temperature controls and high heat retention because of longer cool down and heat.
- Gas grill – one of the basic models of grills with precise temperature control. It uses a 20-pound propane tank that lasts for 24 hours while in use. There are additional burners for cooking activities.
- Electric grills – because of their small size they are an ideal choice for apartments. In addition, no fuel is required and they do not get very hot like other models.
- Pellet grills – considered one of the high-end models, with an electrical outlet therefore, it doesn’t require propane canisters or natural gas. Has precision temperature controls.
How big is a standard BBQ?
The standard size for a BBQ grill especially for cooking hamburgers and hotdogs has a measurement of 360 square inches in case the crowd is bigger it increases to 400 square inches and it can reach a maximum size of 1200 square inches.
The grill surface influences the grill size you want because the width is equal to the cooking surface multiplied by the length to give its dimensions in square inches. The common size is 400 – 500 square inches of cooking space and it increases to 600 square inches if the family is larger and provides plenty of cooking area.
How do you measure the size of a BBQ?
To find the standard grill size, first, measure the height dimensions of your barbecue by placing a tape measure at the base of the grill to the highest point. Second, we obtain the dimensions of the width by placing a measuring tape on each end of the grill.
Last the depth is measured by closing the lid get the measurements from the back to the front of the barbecue including the lid handle and knobs.
How much room do you need for a BBQ?
For 400 to 450 square inches of cooking area, a three-burner gas grill is satisfactory for a typical home of 4-6 family members, but for a family reunion, a larger model of a grill with 5-6 burners that has a measurement of 550 – 650 square inches is approved.
Make sure to place the grill 10 feet away from plants and structures that could attract fire, and a charcoal grill should not be placed in an enclosed area to avoid fire hazards.
Apart from size and number of guests being the main factors when choosing a grill, other factors also play a key role in choosing the perfect size grill for you. Arrangement of the burners, lid design, and diffusion of heat will influence the grill type you purchase.
Alignment from the back to the front and vice versa allows even distribution of heat through the creation of heating zones. Metal heat diffusers shield the burners from drips and cleaning should be done regularly for correct heating.
A proper lid that closes well will prevent any heat to leak ensuring your food cooks nicely. Ensure your grill maintains a certain space of a few inches while outside grilling to prevent accidents.
If you are planning for backyard parties or just a family gathering with the instructions listed one can be able to know what grill size, they require hosting an event.
If you enjoyed reading this article, please leave a comment below!
Related house and home size guides
- Barbie Doll Size : What are different sizes of Barbie ?
- Blanket sizes chart : blanket sizes and dimensions in inches & cm
- Fridge Size Chart – Refrigerator dimensions and standard sizes
- Tablecloth size chart – What are standard tablecloth sizes ?
- How Many Meters Are In A Yard?
- How Many Centimeters are 8 Inches?
- Knife Sizes and Different Types
- 4 Inches is How Many Centimeters?
- Light Bulb Base Sizes : What size light bulb base do I need?
- Tesalate Towel Size Guide
- How Far Is 200 Feet?
- Hot Tub Size Chart
- 1000 ML to Cups Conversion
- How Far Is 2000 Meters?
- How Many Centimeters are 7 Inches?
- Light bulb Size : What are the different and standard bulb sizes?
- Duvet Sizes: What is a Standard-Size Duvet?
- How Many Meters Are in 6 Feet?
- Single Car Garage Size and Dimensions
- How Many Miles Are In 10000 Meters?
- How High Is A Story?
- How Much Does 1 Cup Of Rice Weigh?
- Cast Iron Skillet Sizes: What Size Do I Need?
- 1 Inch to Millimeters – How to Convert?
- Dollar Bills Size Chart
- How Far Are 1500 Meters?
- Pizza Sizes: Which One to Order?
- How To Measure A Foot Without A Ruler
- Wine Glass Size Chart
- Tiny Houses Size Charts
- Coffeemaker Size and Watts Usage
- How Many Inches Are In 20 Centimeters?