Tablecloth size chart – What are standard tablecloth sizes ?
This post was last updated on May 17th, 2023 at 05:11 pm
Standard tablecloth size varies depending on the shape and size of the table. There are four basic tablecloth sizes: square, round, oval, and rectangular. Banquet tables require specific measures.
- Square tablecloth sizes range from 41 in. x 41 in. to 71 in. x 71 in.
- Round tablecloth sizes range from 60 in. to 132 in.
- Oval tablecloth sizes range from 60 in. x 84 in. to 60 in. x 104 in.
- Rectangular/oval tablecloth sizes range from 52 in. x 70 in. to 60 in. x 144 in.
- Banquet tablecloth sizes range from 52 in. x 69 in. to 52 in. x 92 in.
How to measure your tablecloth size?
It’s essential to measure your tables accurately. For square and rectangular tables, measure from edge to edge. For rounded tables, use the diameter, the length of its widest point-to-point edge. Generally, an overhang or “standard drop length” of at least 6 inches (15cm) is recommended. However, a drop length to the ground can be chosen for formal occasions or tables without chairs.
How Much should a Tablecloth hang over?
The minimum drop (overhang of your tablecloth) for all tables must be at least 6″ or 15 centimeters. Meaning, 8″ of your next tablecloth will hang over each side of the table. If you like a long drop: halfway to the floor implements a 15″ or 38 cm drop (also called a Lap-length drop), or all the way down to the floor requires a 30″ or 76 cm drop.
Looking for the best size of coffee tables? check out the detailed coffee table size charts
Tablecloth size chart table of content – Quick Menu
- How to measure your tablecloth size?
- How Much should a Tablecloth hang over?
- How do I know the correct tablecloth size?
- Tablecloth size charts
- Tablecloth size for round tables
- Tablecloth size chart for rectangle or square tables
- Tablecloth sizing explained (video)
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do I know the correct tablecloth size?
Find your table’s shape and size using the tablecloth sizes charts below. If you don’t know the size, use a retractable tape measure to take the exact measurement of your current table. This will provide the table dimensions to determine the size tablecloth you need.
Common Table sizing
- Rectangle and oval tables mostly come in two standard widths:
- The most common is 36″ wide (or 90 cms)
- A bigger standard size is 40″ wide (100 cms)
- To measure the size of a round table you will to know the diameter. Measure the center of the table from one end to the other.
- Square tables usually range from 30″ (76cm) to 72″ (180cm). Know your table size by measuring one side.
Related: Table Size Chart and Dimensions Guide by space and people , Chair Size Chart: Find Your Perfect Fit! , Rug Size for Living room use, compared to table and sofa size
The length of the drop is the amount of material that will hang over the table’s edge.
In general there are 3 sizes of tablecloth drop length
- Minimum drop: 8″ or 20 cm of tablecloth hanging over your table on all sides (8-inch drop)
- Halfway drop: 15″ or 38 cm of tablecloth hanging over your table. Generally the tablecloth stops halfway to the floor. This is also called the lap-length drop. (15-inch drop – Lap-length tablecloth)
- Long drop: 30″ or 76 cm of tablecloth hanging over your table. The tablecloth will touch the floor. (30-inch drop – floor-length tablecloth))
Calculating the perfect Tablecloth size manually
By simple math, you can calculate the tablecloth size yourself depending on the type of table you have
- Round Table tablecloth size calculator
You know the exact tablecloth size by multiplying the drop length by 2, then adding the table diameter.
Find all appropriate sizes in the below round table tablecloth size chart
- Square table tablecloth size calculator
You know the tablecloth size you need by multiplying the drop length by 2, then adding the tableside length Find all appropriate sizes in the below square table tablecloth size chart
- Rectangular table tablecloth size calculator
You can find the tablecloth size you need by multiplying the drop length by 2, then adding the table width and length.
Find all appropriate sizes in the below rectangular table tablecloth size chart
For example, if your rectangular table measures 72 inches long and 36 inches wide, you would add 10-12 inches to both measurements, resulting in a tablecloth size of 92-94 inches long and 56-58 inches wide.
Tablecloth size charts
If you know what size table you have and the length of a drop you want, you can find the tablecloth size you need by multiplying the drop length by 2 and then adding the table length. (depending on whether it’s a round, square, or rectangle table). You can see the sizes of your tablecloth in the below size charts (in inches, 1 inch = 2.53 cm)
Table cloth size for round tables
What size round tablecloth do I need?
The below size chart has the common Round Tablecloth Drop Lengths compared to your table diameter. (in inches, 1 inch = 2.53 cm)
|(Standard 30″ Table Height)||Round Tablecloth Size|
|64″ Round||72″ Round||90″ Round||108″ Round||120″ Round||132″ Round|
|30″ Diameter||17″ Drop||21″ Drop||Floor Length||Too Big||Too Big||Too Big|
|42″ Diameter||11″ Drop||15″ Drop||26″ Drop||Floor Length||Too Big||Too Big|
|48 ” Diameter||8″ Drop||12″ Drop||21″ Drop||Floor Length||Too Big||Too Big|
|54″ Diameter||Too Small||9″ Drop||18″ Drop||27″ Drop||Too Big||Too Big|
|60″ Diameter||Too Small||Too Small||15″ Drop||24″ Drop||Floor Length||Too Big|
|66″ Diameter||Too Small||Too Small||12″ Drop||21″ Drop||27″ Drop||Too Big|
|72″ Diameter||Too Small||Too Small||9″ Drop||18″ Drop||24″ Drop||Floor Length|
Tablecloth size chart for square tables
What size tablecloth do I need for square tables?
The below size chart has the common square Tablecloth Drop Lengths compared to your table side length. (in inches, 1 inch = 2.53 cm) As you can see it’s perfectly possible to use squared tablecloths for rectangular tables
|(Standard 30″ Table Height)||Square Tablecloth Size|
|Too Small||Too Small||Too Small||6”x 6”|
|15” x 15”|
|Too Small||3” x 12”|
|7” x 16”|
|12” x 21”|
|16.5” x 13.5”|
|18.5” x 27.5”|
|21” x Floor Length|
|Too Small||Too Small||Too Small||Too Small||4.5” x 13.5”|
|6.5” x 27.5”|
|9” x Floor Length Drop|
Tablecloth size for rectangular tables
What size rectangular tablecloth do I need?
The below size chart has the common Rectangular Tablecloth Drop Lengths compared to your table width and length. (in inches, 1 inch = 2.53 cm) As you can see, it’s perfectly possible to use rectangular tablecloths for a squared table shape
|(Standard 30″ Table Height)||Banquet (Rectangular )Tablecloth Size|
|52” x 72”|
|52” x 96”|
|52” x 114”|
|52” x 120”|
|90” x 132”|
|90” x 156”|
|11” x 21”|
|Too Big||Too Big||Too Big||Too Big||Too Big|
|8” x 18”|
|8” x Floor Length|
|Too Big||Too Big||Too Big||Too Big|
|5” x 15”|
|5” x 27”|
|Too Big||Too Big||Too Big||Too Big|
|Too Small||Too Small||Too Small||Too Small||Too Big||Too Big|
|11” x 12”|
|11” x 24”|
|Too Big||Too Big||Too Big||Too Big|
|11″ x 0″ Drop||11” x 12”|
|11” x 21”|
|11” x 24”|
|To Floor on All Sides||Too Big|
|Too Small||11″ x 0″ Drop||11″ x 9″ Drop||11” x 12”|
|18” x Floor Length|
|To Floor on All Sides|
Tablecloth sizing explained (video)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I use a tablecloth that is slightly too large or too small for my table?
It is not recommended to use table linen that is too big or too small. A tablecloth that is too small may not provide adequate coverage and look unattractive, while a tablecloth that is too large may bunch or drag on the floor, creating a tripping hazard.
What size tablecloth should I get for a 6-foot table?
For a 6-foot rectangular table, a tablecloth that measures 90×132 inches is a standard size that should provide ample coverage.
What size tablecloth should I get for a 60-inch round table?
For a 60-inch round table, a tablecloth that measures 120 inches in diameter is a standard size that should provide ample coverage.
What is the standard drop for a tablecloth?
The standard drop for a tablecloth is 10-12 inches, although this can vary depending on the occasion and personal preference. The preferred drop can also depend on the type of event. (Casual events or formal events can require a different table overlay)
- A properly fitted tablecloth creates a polished, cohesive look for a casual table setting or a special event
- Measuring your table correctly is crucial for selecting the right tablecloth size
- Common rectangular tablecloth sizes include 60×102 inches, 60×120 inches, and 90×132 inches
- Common round tablecloth sizes include 70 inches, 90 inches, and 120 inches
- Matching the tablecloth size to the entire table size is essential, but don’t forget to consider the overhang and drop
- Other factors to consider include table shape, height, and material
Related house and table size charts
- Blanket sizes chart : blanket sizes and dimensions in inches & cm
- Fridge Size Chart – Refrigerator dimensions and standard sizes
- Tablecloth size chart – What are standard tablecloth sizes ?
- How Many Meters Are In A Yard?
- How Many Centimeters are 8 Inches?
- Knife Sizes and Different Types
- 4 Inches is How Many Centimeters?
- Light Bulb Base Sizes : What size light bulb base do I need?
- Tesalate Towel Size Guide
- How Far Is 200 Feet?
- Hot Tub Size Chart
- 1000 ML to Cups Conversion
- How Far Is 2000 Meters?
- How Many Centimeters are 7 Inches?
- Light bulb Size : What are the different and standard bulb sizes?
- Duvet Sizes: What is a Standard-Size Duvet?
- How Many Meters Are in 6 Feet?
- Single Car Garage Size and Dimensions
- How Many Miles Are In 10000 Meters?
- How High Is A Story?
- How Much Does 1 Cup Of Rice Weigh?
- Cast Iron Skillet Sizes: What Size Do I Need?
- 1 Inch to Millimeters – How to Convert?
- Dollar Bills Size Chart
- How Far Are 1500 Meters?
- Pizza Sizes: Which One to Order?
- How To Measure A Foot Without A Ruler
- Wine Glass Size Chart
- Tiny Houses Size Charts
- Coffeemaker Size and Watts Usage
- How Many Inches Are In 20 Centimeters?
- How To Measure 1 Meter Without A Ruler?