Kids Shoe Size Chart by Age
This post was last updated on October 6th, 2021 at 05:38 pm
Requested by many visitors, we compiled an Average kids Shoe Size chart By Age Chart, including a conversion table between the average shoe size by age chart in uk size, Eu Sizes, and US shoe sizing.
The average shoe size for children depends on a number of factors. 5 quick answers to most questions:
- feet size depends in particular on the age and the gender of kids.
- On average boys have a larger shoe size than girls of the same age.
- Children’s feet grow until about the age of 15.
- On average children grow one and a half shoe sizes bigger each year.
- In the first years of childhood their feet grow the most.
First discover the average shoe size by age in US and UK standards. Then find the most appropriate shoes for the little ones using the size charts!
Average Shoe Size Chart By Age summary
- The importance of perfect fitting Kids Shoes and their sizing
- Kids Shoe Size Chart according to different age?
- Measuring your Kids Shoe Size in simple steps.
- Average Children’s Shoe Size conversion table in US, EU and UK sizes
- What size is my kids shoe in adult shoe sizes?
- Need to know information when buying newborn and toddler shoes
- Great tips to help you shop online for kids shoes?
- Buying tips for Teenagers and youth shoes
What to look for when Buying Kids Shoes Online?
Many parents of young children are big fans of online shoe shopping. It’s easy and convenient behind the computer or with your iPad at home. Even the most easygoing of toddlers can become whiny and weepy in the children’s shoe aisle. Unfortunately, the greatest thing about online shoe shopping is also the biggest downside when shopping for children’s shoes. You’re not in a department store so you can’t try them on until you buy them.
In the below Shoe Size Charts for Boys and girls, we’ll make it easy to understand your children’s shoe size and reduce the hassle of getting wrongly fitting shoes delivered to your doorstep.
What Are The Average Children Shoe Sizes According To Different Ages?
In the Average Kids Shoe Size Chart below you can see the average shoe size of certain ages. The overview is up until 12 years old, because after that age the height of children often varies and their shoe size is as big as adults’ feet. Shoe size charts for men and women we handle here.
|Age||Average shoe size boys US||Average shoe size girls US|
How to measure your children’s feet?
Shoe sizes differ between brands and between types of footwear. That’s why we always recommend measuring both feet of your son or daughter, so you can convert children’s shoe sizes between the US, UK, and European size systems: Here’s a simple how-to post about it.
Probably you don’t feel like reading or quickly want to buy those kids’ shoes.
To make it easy, we summed up our tips to measure your children’s feet, which will take no more than 2 minutes of your time.
Measure your kid’s feet in 10 simple steps
- Measure your kid’s feet in the afternoon.
- Make them Stand When Measuring, but with smaller children this is not needed
- Wear socks
- Be precise
- Measure both feet
- Stand on a piece of paper
- Start drawing
- Measure the length of your feet
- Find your width fitting by drawing or with measuring tape
(for infants, toddlers and little kids shoes, this step is optional)
- Determine your hids shoe size in the conversion charts
Average Shoe Size By Age Chart in UK and US Sizes
Finding out your Children’s shoe size conversion is not as difficult as it may look.
In fact, it is imperative that you understand Kids Shoe Sizing when looking out for the best children’s shoe brands, best shoes for toddlers, most durable kids shoes, or podiatrist recommended shoes for toddlers.
This exercise will definitely save you from so much stress and extra expenses.
If you are buying a children’s shoe that uses the European sizing system the notation system is the same for babies, children, and adults.
|Kids US Shoes SIze||Euro||UK||Inches||CM|
NOTE: From this size onward, shoes are sized as standard Men’s shoes starting at “1”. You can find the standard women’s size equivalent by adding 1.5 to the size.
Average Youth Shoe Size Chart converted to adults Shoe sizes
|US Shoe||Euro||UK||Inches||CM||Adult Women’s Shoe Size– Equivalent|
What do you need to take into account when choosing your toddler’s shoe?
- Before a child starts walking, shoes are unnecessary.
- During the winter months your child can wear soft booties to stay warm, but all foot coverings should be as non-restricting as possible.
- After your toddler has begun to walk (usually between 10 and 18 months old), you can introduce him or her to a sneaker with a flexible outsole with good traction.
- At toddler age shoes should be worn outdoors only. Inside the house barefoot is still best for toddlers.
- Check your child’s feet for blisters and other signs often which means their shoes no longer fit.
- Toddler’s feet tend to grow a shoe size larger every three months or so.
- Feel free to buy shoes slightly larger than what your child needs. 1/2 an inch clearance at the toe provides some growing room.
Basic Tips when doing Kids’ Shoe Shopping
- Start your search with knowing your children’s foot and shoe size: Measure the feet in inches or centimeters and convert them into the size you need.
- As Children’s feet grow at different rates, you should regularly measure your childs feet every few months to make sure they are always wearing a properly fit shoe.
- Never let a child wear a shoe that is too small for their feet! Children’s feet are still growing and developing and many adult foot problems have their origins in poor-fitting shoes during childhood.
- Young children tend to curl their toes which can be misleading when fitting shoes. Always be sure to check that the foot is fully flat before fitting.
- Never put your child in a shoe that is more than a size too big or the child is likely to trip when walking.
- If you are buying a children’s shoe that uses the U.S. or U.K. sizing system (see chart for measurement differences in the two systems), be sure to remember that the notation system starts over at around age 6. At age five your child may wear a children’s size 13 and at age 6 your child may wear a youth size 1.
- At four years old your child’s foot will be double the size it was at birth.
- Children’s shoes can have slightly firmer soles than a toddler’s shoe, but there should still be plenty of flexibility.
- For a kid’s feet, a little bit of arch support goes a long way. Never try to correct a child’s walking gait without a podiatrist’s informed diagnosis and recommendation.
- Between age four and five most children’s feet grow at least a half a shoe size every four to five months.
- Avoid buying shoes that are more than one size too big or the shoe will become a tripping hazard.
- When choosing between children’s shoe uppers, breathable materials like leather and canvas are best. Children’s feet often sweat a lot.
Buying shoes for my teenagers, tips needed?
- A youth size 5.5 is equivalent to an adult women’s size 7 and an adult men’s size 6. For older children and teenagers please use our Men’s & Women’s Shoe Sizing U.S & European Shoe Sizing Guide
- Your child will usually start wearing youth shoe sizes around age 6.
- After the age of 6, it becomes especially important that children wear supportive athletic shoes during play, particularly if they participate in after-school sports.
- While children’s feet are more resilient and thus less prone to injury, the most common cause of chronic children’s foot pain is Sever’s disease, an inflammation of a child’s developing heel growth plate. The most common cause of children’s heel pain is participation in activities that involve a lot of running and jumping, such as soccer and basketball, without having shoes that provide enough arch support. Children’s arch support inserts are available to decrease your child’s risk of developing a painful foot injury.
Is there a difference between boys and girls shoe sizes?
On average boys have a larger shoe size than girls of the same age.
How long do children’s feet grow in size averagely?
Children’s feet grow until about the age of 15.
How fast do children’s shoe size change in a year?
On average children grow one and a half shoe sizes bigger each year.
At what age do children’s feet and their shoe size grow the most?
In the first years of childhood their feet grow the most.
The picture in this post is by Julian Hochgesang on Unsplash , the shoes on it are from Vans, which we have written a full Vans Shoe Size Chart and Fitting Guide about here