Kids Shoe Size by Age: Your Child’s Shoe Size with Easy Size-Charts
This post was last updated on August 15th, 2023 at 02:49 pm
Requested by many visitors, we compiled an Average kids Shoe Size By Age Chart, including a conversion table between the average shoe size by age chart in UK size, Eu Sizes, and US shoe sizing. Many kids are wearing shoes that are either too small, or too big.
When your child doesn’t walk or play in properly sized shoes this will harm their development and cause injuries. A recent global study found that at least 30% of boys and girls wear the wrong shoe size for their feet.
5 quick answers to most questions:
The average shoe size for children depends on several factors.
- feet size depends in particular on the age and the gender of kids.
- On average boys have a larger shoe size than girls of the same age.
- Children’s feet grow until about the age of 15.
- On average children grow one and a half shoe sizes bigger each year.
- In the first years of childhood their feet grow the most.
First, discover the average shoe size by age by US and UK standards. Then find the most appropriate shoes for the little ones using the size charts! Easily convert the average shoe size by age UK into US, EU or other sizes.
Average Shoe Size Chart By Age Table of Content
- The importance of perfect fitting Kids Shoes and their sizing
- Kids Shoe Size Chart according to different age?
- Measuring your Kids Shoe Size in simple steps.
- Average Children’s Shoe Size conversion table in US, EU and UK sizes
- What size is my kids shoe in adult shoe sizes?
- Need to know information when buying newborn and toddler shoes
- Great tips to help you shop online for kids shoes?
What to look for when Buying Kids Shoes Online?
Many parents of young children are big fans of online shoe shopping. It’s easy and convenient behind the computer or with your iPad at home.
Even the most easygoing of toddlers can become whiny and weepy in the children’s shoe aisle. Unfortunately, the greatest thing about online shoe shopping is also the biggest downside when shopping for children’s shoes.
You’re not in a department store so you can’t try them on until you buy them. In the below Shoe Size Charts for Boys and girls, we’ll make it easy to understand your children’s shoe size and reduce the hassle of getting wrongly fitting shoes delivered to your doorstep.
The age group for each size may vary from brand to brand and from child to child. Our team has made an overview of the most common age group for each size based on our research.
This is not a standard true-for-all size chart, but we’re convinced you find this chart useful.
Related: Kids shoe sizes to adults shoe sizes
Kid’s US Shoe size by Age and foot length
|Kids’ Age||US Kids Size||Foot length|
|1 year||3C||4 3/8″|
|2 years||6C||5 1/4″|
|3 years||9C||6 1/4″|
|4 years||10-11C||6 7/8″|
|5 years||11-12.5C||7 1/4″|
|6 years||12.5-13.5C||7 1/2″|
|7 years||1Y||7 5/8″|
|9 years||3Y||8 3/8″|
|10 years||4Y||8 5/8″|
|12 years||6Y||9 3/4″|
What Are The Average Children Shoe Sizes According To Different Ages?
In the Average Kids Shoe Size Chart below you can see the average shoe size of certain ages. The overview is up until 12, because children’s height often varies after that age and their shoe size is as big as adults’ feet. Shoe size charts for men and women we handle here.
|Age||Average shoe size boys US||Average shoe size girls US|
Toddler shoe size by age
The toddler age group is from 1 to 4 years old. Find the below Average Shoe size conversion table to find the right fit. Remember that a good fit starts with measuring your children’s foot
|Toddler’s Age||US Shoe Size||Foot Length|
|1 year||3C||4 3/8″|
|2 years||6C||5 1/4″|
|3 years||9C||6 1/4″|
|4 years||10-11C||6 7/8″|
related: Shoe size for Babies and Toddlers
Video Explaining how to measure toddle shoe size by age
What is the average shoe size for kids by age?
In the below Size conversion table we measured kid’s feet and converted the measurement in cms and inches into US and EU shoe sizes for children by age.
|Kid’s Age||Foot length in Inches||US Shoe Size||EU Shoe Size||Foot Length in cm|
|0-3 mo||4.03||Baby 1||16||10.2|
|3-6 mo||4.36||Baby 2||17||11.07|
|6-9 mo||4.6||Baby 3||18||11.6|
|9-12 mo||5.05||Baby 4||19||12.8|
|1-1.5 yrs||5.34||Toddler 5||21||13.5|
|2-3 yrs||5.6||Toddler 6||22||14.2|
|2-3 yrs||5.97||Toddler 7||23||15.1|
|2-3 yrs||6.32||Toddler 8||25||16|
|3-4 yrs||6.67||Toddler 9||26||16.9|
|4-5 yrs||6.91||Toddler 10||27||17.5|
|4-5 yrs||7.33||Youth 11||29||18.6|
|5-6 yrs||7.6||Youth 12||30||19.3|
|5-6 yrs||8||Youth 13||31||20.3|
|7-8 yrs||8.27||Youth 1||32||21|
|7-8 yrs||8.63||Youth 2||33||21.9|
|7-8 yrs||8.97||Youth 3||34||22.8|
|7-8 yrs||9.27||Youth 4||35||23.5|
|7-8 yrs||9.65||Youth 5||36||24.5|
|9-10 yrs||9.87||Tween 6||37||25|
|10-12 yrs||10.23||Tween 7||38||25.9|
How to measure your children’s feet?
Shoe sizes differ between brands and between types of footwear. That’s why we always recommend measuring both feet of your son or daughter, so you can convert children’s shoe sizes between the US, UK, and European size systems: Here’s a simple how-to post about it.
Probably you don’t feel like reading or quickly want to buy those kids’ shoes.
To make it easy, we summed up our tips to measure your children’s feet, which will take no more than 2 minutes of your time.
Measure your kid’s feet in 10 simple steps
- Measure your kid’s feet in the afternoon.
- Make them Stand When Measuring, but with smaller children this is not needed
- Wear socks
- Be precise
- Measure both feet
- Stand on a piece of paper
- Start drawing
- Measure the length of your feet
- Find your width fitting by drawing or with measuring tape
(for infants, toddlers and little kids shoes, this step is optional)
- Determine your kids shoe size by age in the conversion charts
How often should my child’s foot be measured?
As a rule of thumb, consider measuring your child as follows:
- Age: 2 weeks to 6 months – measure once a month
- Age: 6 months to 12 months – once every 2 months
- Age: 12 months to 2 years old – once every 3 months
- Age: 2 years to 4 years – once every 6 months
- Age: 5 years and above – every year
Average kids Shoe Size By Age Chart in UK and US Sizes
Finding your Children’s shoe size conversion is not as difficult as it may look.
You must understand Kids Shoe Sizing when looking out for the best children’s shoe brands, best shoes for toddlers, most durable kids shoes, or podiatrist recommended shoes for toddlers.
This exercise will save you from so much stress and extra expenses.
If you are buying a children’s shoe that uses the European sizing system the notation system is the same for babies, children, and adults.
Are US and UK children’s shoe sizes the same?
Children’s shoe sizes in the UK are typically 1/2 size smaller than their equivalent US sizes. A US size 9 shoe is equivalent to a UK size 8.5 shoe, and so on. Check the below conversion chart to ensure that you select the appropriate UK shoe size depending on your US shoe size. (in inches, cms, UK, EU and US sizes)
|Kids US Shoes SIze||Euro||UK||Inches||CM|
Toddler shoe sizing explained
NOTE: From this size onward, shoes are sized as standard Men’s shoes starting at “1”. You can find the standard women’s size equivalent by adding 1.5 to the size.
Average Youth Shoe Size Chart converted to adults Shoe sizes
|US Shoe||Euro||UK||Inches||CM||Adult Women’s Shoe Size– Equivalent|
Get yourself Children Shoes
What do you need to consider when choosing your toddler’s shoe?
- Before a child starts walking, shoes are unnecessary.
- During the winter months your child can wear soft booties to stay warm, but all foot coverings should be as non-restricting as possible.
- After your toddler has begun to walk (usually between 10 and 18 months old), you can introduce him or her to a sneaker with a flexible outsole with good traction.
- At toddler age shoes should be worn outdoors only. Inside the house barefoot is still best for toddlers.
- Check your child’s feet for blisters and other signs often, meaning their shoes no longer fit.
- Toddler’s feet tend to grow a larger shoe size every three months.
- Feel free to buy shoes slightly larger than what your child needs. 1/2 an inch clearance at the toe provides some growing room.
Average Children’s Shoe Sizes By Age Chart UK
What UK Size Fits What Age? The below size-chart lists the average shoe size by age chart for the UK making it easy to determine which is the average UK shoe size for your boy or girls during the years they grow up.
|UK Kids Shoe Size||Children’s Age||Foot length in mm|
|0||0 – 2 mos.||90|
|0.5||0 – 2 mos.||93|
|1||0 – 2 mos.||97|
|1.5||1 – 3 mos.||100|
|2||3 – 6 mos.||103|
|2.5||6 – 9 mos.||110|
|3||9 – 11 mos.||116|
|3.5||10 – 12 mos.||120|
|4||12 – 15 mos.||123|
|4.5||13 – 15 mos.||127|
|5||15 – 18 mos.||130|
|5.5||16 – 18 mos.||133|
|6||19 – 21 mos.||138|
|6.5||21 – 24 mos.||142|
Basic Tips when doing Kids’ Shoe Shopping
- Start your search by knowing your children’s foot and shoe size: Measure the feet in inches or centimeters and convert them into the size you need.
- As Children’s feet grow at different rates, you should regularly measure them every few months to ensure they are always wearing a properly fitting shoe.
- Never let a child wear a shoe that is too small for their feet! Children’s feet are still growing and developing; many adult foot problems originate in poor-fitting shoes during childhood.
- Young children tend to curl their toes which can be misleading when fitting shoes. Always be sure to check that the foot is fully flat before fitting.
- Never put your child in a shoe that is more than a size too big or the child is likely to trip when walking.
- If you are buying a children’s shoe that uses the U.S. or U.K. sizing system (see chart for measurement differences in the two systems), be sure to remember that the notation system starts over at around age 6. At age five your child may wear a children’s size 13 and at age 6 your child may wear a youth size 1.
- At four years old your child’s foot will be double the size it was at birth.
- Children’s shoes can have slightly firmer soles than a toddler’s shoe, but there should still be plenty of flexibility.
- For a kid’s feet, a little bit of arch support goes a long way. Never try to correct a child’s walking gait without a podiatrist’s informed diagnosis and recommendation.
- Between ages four and five most children’s feet grow at least a half a shoe size every four to five months.
- Avoid buying shoes that are more than one size too big or the shoe will become a tripping hazard.
- When choosing between children’s shoe uppers, breathable materials like leather and canvas are best. Children’s feet often sweat a lot.
Buying shoes for my teenagers, tips needed?
- A youth size 5.5 is equivalent to an adult women’s size 7 and an adult men’s size 6. For older children and teenagers please use our Men’s & Women’s Shoe Sizing U.S & European Shoe Sizing Guide
- Your child will usually start wearing youth shoe sizes around age 6.
- After age 6, it becomes especially important that children wear supportive athletic shoes during play, particularly if they participate in after-school sports.
- While children’s feet are more resilient and thus less prone to injury, the most common cause of chronic foot pain is Sever’s disease, an inflammation of a child’s developing heel growth plate. The most common cause of children’s heel pain is participation in activities that involve a lot of running and jumping, such as soccer and basketball, without having shoes that provide enough arch support. Children’s arch support inserts are available to decrease your child’s risk of developing a painful foot injury.
FAQ about kids shoe size by age
Is there a difference between boys and girls shoe sizes?
Yes, there’s a difference between boys’ and girls’ shoe sizes when they have the same age. On average boys have a larger shoe size than girls of the same age.
How long do children’s feet grow in size on average?
Children’s feet grow until about the age of 15.
How fast do children’s shoe sizes change in a year?
On average children grow one and a half shoe sizes bigger each year.
At what age do children’s feet and their shoe size grow the most?
In the first years of childhood, their feet grow the most.
What’s the shoe size of a 2-year-old?
The average shoe size for a 2-year-old boy or girl will be US 6C for a foot length of 5 1/4″. That would be 22 EU shoe size, or a 5-5.5 UK size. See the kids shoe size by age chart for more details.
What Shoe Size Is A 3-Year-Old?
A 3 year old boy or girl should be wearing kid’s shoes between 8 and 10 US sizes. Making US9, 25 EU and 8 UK shoe size the average shoe size for a 3-year-old toddler. Always start to measure the foot when possible so you can choose the right size shoe in the charts.
What size shoe is a 4 year old?
The average US shoe size for a four-year-old is 11, which equals a foot length of 6 7/8 inches. The size is the same for a boy or a girl of 4: US11, EU28 and UK 10 size. Find all kid’ shoe size conversion in the charts
What Size Shoe Does a 5-Year-Old Wear?
A 5-year-old boy or girl will wear an 11C – 12C US shoe size. This US size converts into 27-28 EU or 10-10.5 UK shoe size. Please note that there isn’t a one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as shoe size can vary by brand and model of the shoe and the child’s foot shape. See the kids shoe size by age chart for more details.
What are toddler shoe sizes? How to find the shoe size of my toddler?
Toddlers range from 1 year to a maximum of 5 years old, which results in US shoe sizes 5 up to 12 (C). Use the above size charts to pick the right size for your toddler, based on his/her foot length. A toddler’s shoe size changes quite fast by age. The recommended US size is:
- US size 5 for a 12- to 18-month-old child
- US size 6 for an 18- to 24-month-old child
- US size 6-7 for a 2-year-old
- US size 8 for a 2- to 2 1/2-year-old
- US size 9 for a 3-year-old
- US size 10 for a 3 1/2-year-old
- US size 11 for a 4 1/2-year-old
- US size 12 for a 5-year-old.
What is the average shoe size for a 13-year-old in the UK?
Being a size 8 to 10 in shoes at 13 years old is perfectly normal. Measure your teen’s foot if possible or consult this expert youth shoe size charts page
Kids shoe size by age explained
The picture in this post is by Julian Hochgesang on Unsplash , the shoes on it are from Vans, which we have written a full Vans Shoe Size Chart and Fitting Guide about here
Related kids’ size charts
- Kids Belt Size Chart
- Barbie Doll Size : What are different sizes of Barbie ?
- US Kids Clothes Size Chart : What are kids sizes in US – UK – EU ?
- Pull & Bear Kid’s Size Charts
- Dolls Size: What Are the Different Sizes of Dolls?
- Wonder Nation Shoes Size Charts
- European Boys’ Clothing Sizes to EU, UK
- European Girl’s Clothing Sizes to US, UK
- Jumpsuit Size Chart for Adults and Kids
- Chicco Baby Stroller Size Guide
- What Size of Baby Jogger Stroller Do I Need? (Size Guide)
- H&M Baby & Kids Sizes
- US Toddler Clothing Size and Measurements
- HUGO BOSS Kids Size Charts
- Under Armour Girls’ Size Charts
- Under Armour Boys’ Size Charts
- Baby Romper Size Guide
- Kids Socks Size Chart by age: What are sock sizes for boys & girls
- Goodnites Size Chart: Find the Best Diaper Size
- Mexican Kids’ Sizes of Clothing – Mexico to US
- Chicco Infant Car Seat Size
- Mama Bear Size Chart of Diapers
- OVS Size Chart for Adults and Kids
- Charlie Banana Diapers Size
- Nike Air Max 97 Size Chart : Is the Air Max 97 true to size ?
- Luvs Diapers Size Charts for Babies
- Uniqlo Kids’ Size Charts