Monitor for Gaming – What is the Best Size?
Monitor for gaming is much like regular PC monitors but they are designed to deliver better visuals for a memorable gaming experience.
Whether it’s PC gaming or console gaming, a high-quality monitor is critical to your success. These monitors come in different sizes and it can be tricky to determine which one will serve you best.
This post will cover the best size for gaming monitors and how to choose an excellent monitor for your needs.
Here we go!
Jump right into the Frequently Asked Questions
Best Size Monitor for Gaming Table of Contents
- What Size Monitor for Gaming do I Need?
- Overview of Popular Monitor for Gaming Sizes and Suitable Applications
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Size Monitor do I Need for Gaming?
Monitors come in a variety of sizes, each suitable for gamers with different needs. Let’s take a look at which gaming monitor size suits your lifestyle best.
- 24-Inch Monitors
24-inch displays are the smallest monitor size most people can accept. While they aren’t as large as other options, they are much better than portable monitors which are much smaller. 15.6-inch monitors, for instance, have a limited screen real estate and can make your gaming experience less exciting.
If you get a 24-inch monitor, ensure it has the highest resolution possible. A 24-inch 1080p monitor will have better clarity than a larger screen with the same resolution. This is because it has more pixels per inch making the visuals more vivid.
The downside to this screen size is that you probably won’t get enough space to multitask. So if you want to split your screen in two for gaming and another activity, you should consider a larger display.
- 27-Inch Monitors
A 27-inch display is considered the sweet spot for gaming monitors. It’s the most available size of a gaming monitor and there are different resolutions to choose from. You can choose a monitor that has the specific settings you need for your preferred type of gaming.
27-inch models are the ideal monitor size if you find 24-inch gaming monitors too small. Additionally, if you don’t have a lot of desk space, this monitor size is more compact than 32-inch models.
- 32-Inch Monitors
When you need a larger size monitor for competitive gaming, 32-inch displays are the way to go. A 32-inch screen offers a great display without changing the 16:9 aspect ratio.
There are several resolution options including 1440p and 4k. We recommend you get a resolution higher than 1080p because, at this screen size, the pixel density will be low. This can make your visuals less appealing as you play your games.
- Ultrawide Monitors
The best monitor size for gaming depends on how many functions you want to operate simultaneously. If you want a monitor that allows you to split the screen and handle different tasks, an ultrawide screen is an answer. Ultrawide monitors usually have the same height as the other monitors we’ve covered but it has more horizontal real estate.
If you want a monitor for gaming and watching movies, you’ve hit the jackpot. With an aspect ratio of 21:9, you can enjoy a cinematic experience from the comfort of your home.
It’s one of the best monitor sizes for gaming because it allows you to see more of your surroundings than smaller monitors. Generally, these screens make for a more exhilarating gaming experience which is why they are popular among professional gamers.
Unfortunately, these screens aren’t suitable for console gaming so you should only consider them if you are a PC gamer.
- Super-UltraWide Monitors
Super-Ultrawide monitors are perhaps the rarest monitor type on the market. If you are looking for a single-screen alternative for your multi-monitor setup, these monitors will do. These monitors feature a 49-inch display and an aspect ratio of 32:9. It’s basically like placing two 27-inch monitors side by side.
A super ultrawide monitor has a curved screen because it’s so long that it could be hard to keep the entire view in focus. Unfortunately, it could have black sides when you play movies on it. The curved displays reduce eye strain and allow you to open multiple windows simultaneously.
Ultrawide displays are excellent for dark room gaming and allow for a greater viewing distance.
What Makes a Great Gaming Monitor?
The screen size of your monitor is important but it’s not the only factor that influences your gaming experience. There’s more that goes into choosing a great gaming monitor and we’ll discuss that in this section.
The resolution of your monitor is one of the most important features to consider. There was a time when 1080p was the flagship of monitor resolutions but technology gives us more options today. There’s a direct relationship between resolution and image quality.
1080p is the ideal choice if you want a standard resolution that can help cut costs so that you focus on other features. If you want a 1080p resolution, you should get a monitor within the 21-inch and 24-inch size range. Any monitor larger than this will require a higher resolution.
1440p is also known as Quad HD or QHD. It’s a step up from 1080p and can handle higher refresh rates. It’s also an affordable option. 4k resolution is what most customers look for when choosing any type of display.
It’s much better than the previous options and delivers solid image quality. This resolution is what to get when you need a clearer image.
8k resolution is also available but there’s no reason to go this far if not absolutely necessary because it requires a powerful graphics card.
2. Refresh Rates and Response Time
The refresh rate of your monitor refers to how quickly it can update the images you see. This feature informs the frame rates your screen will deliver. The minimum refresh rate you need for a gaming monitor is 60Hz.
The higher the refresh rate, the smoother your game will be on screen. This means that if you want an immersive gaming experience, you should consider higher refresh rates. A 240Hz refresh rate could do wonders as long as it’s within your budget.
3. Adaptive Sync
This feature is responsible for synchronizing the refresh rates of your display and graphics card. It reduces the chances of screen tearing which can give competitive players an advantage.
4. High Dynamic Range
If you are looking for a 4k monitor, a high dynamic range is important. Unfortunately, HDR is expensive and won’t feel necessary for casual gamers.
However, if you decide to get HDR, the visuals will be much better and you’ll understand that the extra cost is worth it.
5. Panel Types and Color Gamut
The type of panel used to make your display will determine the performance of your monitor.
There are two main types of panels you’ll encounter when shopping for a gaming monitor which are IPS (in-plane switching) and TN (Twisted Nematic) panels.
Both these panels are ideal for gaming monitors and your decision will depend on your preference.
Overview of Popular Monitor Sizes and Suitable Applications
Related: TV Screen Size Chart
See below for a breakdown of the most popular monitor sizes and what they’re best suited for.
- The best size monitor for gaming Xbox is a 27-inch monitor with a resolution of 1440p.
- 21-inch monitors are perfect for budget-minded gamers who want a small monitor that can still deliver good graphics and gaming performance. They’re also great for small spaces and a good choice for gamers who want a larger monitor without breaking the bank. They offer great value for money and are perfect for gaming and watching movies or TV shows.
- 27-inch monitors are ideal for gamers who want the best possible gaming experience. They offer high resolutions and fast response times, making them perfect for FPS games, racing games, and other fast-paced genres.
- 34-inch monitors are best suited for gamers who want the ultimate immersive experience. They offer high resolutions, ultrawide viewing angles, and fast response times, making them perfect for any type of game.
- The best size monitor for gaming ps5 is a 32-inch. If you’re a PC gamer, you may want to consider a larger monitor. 30 inches and above are generally ideal for PC gaming, as it allows for more detailed visuals and a wider viewing angle. Just make sure your desk can accommodate the extra size!
- The best size monitor for gaming and streaming is a 27-inch monitor. This size is large enough to provide a truly immersive experience, while still being small enough to be portable and easy to move around.
- The best size monitor for gaming and work is 27 inches, which is also the best size monitor for gaming and streaming 27 inches. This site provides the perfect balance between screen real estate and portability. Monitors larger than 27 inches are often too bulky to move around, while monitors smaller than 27 inches can be difficult to see from a distance
Learn more about the best monitors for gaming in this video
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is a monitor for gaming good for watching movies too?
The answer is a resounding yes! Gaming monitors offer several features that make them perfect for everyday use, including watching movies. These are some of the wonderful features that make gaming monitors appropriate for watching movies as well
2. Is a monitor for gaming good for video editing too?
Absolutely. Gaming monitors offer many features as seen above that are desirable for video editing as well. This makes them perfect for gaming and other activities that require quick visuals.
3. Is a monitor for gaming good for photo editing too?
Yes. In fact, a gaming monitor is the best option for photo editing because it offers a high refresh rate and fast response time.
This combination ensures that you won’t see any motion blur or ghosting in your photos, which can be a common issue when editing.
4. Is a monitor for gaming good for programming too?
Some people might be wondering if gaming monitors are good for programming too. The answer is yes, they are. Some gaming monitors are designed to handle multiple things at once.
This is because they have a higher refresh rate and a faster response time than traditional monitors.
This means that you can work on your programming projects and play your favorite games without any lag or distortion. So if you’re looking for a monitor that can handle both tasks, a gaming monitor is the perfect option.
5. Is a monitor for gaming good for graphic design too?
Yes! Gaming monitors are great for graphic design because they typically have a higher refresh rate than regular monitors. This means that you won’t have to wait as long for the image on your screen to change, which is essential for when you’re working on design projects.
6. Is a 24-inch monitor for gaming big enough for gaming?
A 24-inch monitor is a great size for gaming, as it provides a good amount of screen space without being too large or overwhelming. This size is also great for those who want to multitask, as it gives you plenty of space to work on other projects while you’re gaming.
7. Are big monitors good for gaming?
Some people might think that a bigger monitor is automatically better for gaming, but that’s not always the case. It really depends on your needs and preferences.
Ideally, you should also consider a monitor with a high refresh rate (at least 144 Hz) and low response time (less than 8 ms). This will help ensure that you have a smooth gaming experience without any frustrating lag or ghosting.
So, what’s the best size monitor for gaming? It really depends on your needs. If you want a monitor that’s good for gaming and many other tasks, we recommend either a 27” or a 32” monitor.
If you’re looking for a monitor that’s just for gaming, we suggest going for something between 24” and 27”. Whichever size monitor you choose, make sure to factor in the resolution and refresh rate to get the best gaming experience possible.
If you have any questions about gaming monitor sizes, drop them in the section below.
Related to Best Size Monitor for Gaming
- Apple Vision Pro Size and Dimensions : how big is it?
- What is My Touch Screen Gloves Size?
- iPhone 12 Pro Max Screen Size Chart
- Apple Keyboard Size and Dimensions
- Chromebook Size Chart
- Apple Watch Band Size Chart: Finding The Right Size
- Which Laptop Size is Best for Work?
- How far should I sit from my TV? (Distance Calculator)
- Polar Watch Sizes and Specifications
- Monitor for Gaming – What is the Best Size?
- Coros Watch Sizes
- Swatch Size Charts
- Suunto Watch Size Charts
- What Garmin Watch Size is Best for Me?
- 3D Printer Size Chart and Specifications
- Amazon Kindle Size by Model : What Size are Kindles?
- Social Media Image and Video Size by Social Platform Explained
- Youtube Shorts Size Guide and Tips: What’s the best Shorts size?
- Pinterest Pin Size Guide for Videos, Images, and More
- Playstation 5 Size: Dimensions, Weight and Box Comparison
- Playstation Controller Size and Comparison of Older Models
- Pixel Tablet Size and Other Specs – Resolution and Dimensions