Halter Size chart – a complete sizing and fitting guide
This post was last updated on November 20th, 2021 at 04:34 pm
Halter sizes are the same variety as bridles: pony, cob, full (sometimes called average horse) and oversize (sometimes called large horse). Many halter manufacturers provide weight guidelines on their packaging labels to help you determine the halter sizes in their halter line that are most appropriate for your horse. In general, if your horse requires a full size bridle, he’ll also require a full size halter.
Halter Size Chart table of content
How to measure your Horse head for a perfect fit halter
How do I measure a horse head for a halter
Use a soft fabric tape measure (or cut a piece of string/twine and then measure it). You want it to be snug around your horse’s face, but not too tight.
This picture shows what measurements and info help us make the ideal halter for your horse:
Measure you horse’s head in 4 easy steps
- Correct placement of the noseband, about 2-3 finger widths below the point of cheekbones.
- Measure around the full circumference of your horse’s nose. Remember that as the halter “settles” and breaks in with wear, the noseband can get 1-3″ bigger around for a looser fit on your horse. This is why the noseband measurement should be snug (but not too tight).
- Measure the cheekpiece length.
- Crownpiece length (optional) should be measured from end to end. You can always shorten the crownpiece on your own, so it’s better to have it too long than too short.
How to see if a halter fits properly
Properly fitted halter
the horse can open his mouth and chew, and the straps are positioned in comfortable locations. The halter is not so loose that when being handled, buckles or rings could slip into the horse’s eyes.
Poorly fitted halter
the horse could get a foot or other object caught in the loose straps. The halter will slip if the horse acts up while being handled with this halter.
Horse Halter Size Chart
Halters Standard Sizes:
Horse Halter size by Horse type
Pony: This halter is for ponies from 1,10 up to 1,35 meters. On the halter, you will find the size PS, Pony or 1.
Cob: This halter is for ponies and horses from 1,35 up to 1,60 meters. On the halter, you will find CS, Cob or 2.
Full: This halter is for horses from 1,60 up to 1,75 meters. On the halter, you will find FS, Full or 3.
Other related animal size charts
- Blue Whale Size and Dimensions
- Dog House Size Chart by breed
- Dog Bed Sizing Guide – Choosing the Right Bed Size for Your Dog
- Dog Turtleneck Size Chart – The Ultimate Guide
- Dog Size Chart by breed and age: a complete guide for your dog’s needs.
- Dog Raincoat Size Chart – How to find out the best size for your dog
- Dog Kennel Size Chart: Find the right sized Kennel for your dog breed
- Dog Vest Size Chart
- Baskerville Muzzle Size
- Dog Crate Size Chart
- Horse Saddle Size chart – Find your English or Western Saddle Size
- Horse Bridle Size chart
- Halter Size chart – a complete sizing and fitting guide
- Horse Blanket Size Chart and Fitting Guide
- Dog Hoodie Size Chart
- Dog T-Shirt Size Chart – The Ultimate Guide